MY FIRST HARVEST FROM OUR GARDEN



I know this sounds silly but I always get excited when I get to pick my first zucchini and squash.

I mean a garden is hard work.  Scott works hard at tilling it up and prepare the soil.  Besides that, we normally keep seeds from year to year and in January start out peppers and tomatoes seedlings.  That is time-consuming.  You have to re-pot your plants and harden them off.  That is all before you even get your hands in the garden dirt.  Once you plant you have to tend them.  You can not just throw in a few plants and watch them grow.  You have to weed, stalk, water and watch for bugs and bunnies and squirrels!!  Those little varmits drives me nuts. OH and I forgot the birds.  It is a never-ending story when you have a garden.  I have some friends that ask me why I do it?  Well, I do it because I get a thrill out of watching something I grew produce food for our table.  I love to can my goodies for another days usage.  Heck, just yesterday I was able to go in my basement and use home canned Italian tomato sauce and marinara.  We had friends over and I was able to open up a jar of pineapple salsa, pickles, pickled okra and pickled asparagus.  Plus I made another bean salad, so that was another 3 jars of various beans.  Not many people can say that they have stuff like that on hand.  Better yet I know what ingredients I used when I canned whatever I am opening.  No big long named stuff in my food that is probably not good for me.  SODIUM is the longest word in my ingredients.  LOL

Anyway, I just wanted to share my excitement.  

Look at the other posts I made today.  I have been a busy girl.  It is time for a break now. I think a Russian Mule is calling my name. 

The best pancakes
Perfect no mess bacon


Updated with pictures 

Sweet and Savory Tomato Jam
Grilled Vegetable Lasagna

ENJOY!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS