LEXINGTON NORTH CAROLINA RED SLAW


If you know anything about pork bbq, you know that North Carolina is the capital for it!  Of course, the state is divided on who has the best or makes the best.  Basically, it boils down to the sauce or dip as we call it.  Ya know, it is the stuff you put on your pork.  That saucy goodness.

We are also picky about the slaw we are going to eat with or on our barbeque because the slaw really takes it to the next level of heaven.  I want a red or some call it a bbq slaw.  It is so much better than coleslaw.  To be honest, I have to admit, I had no clue about red slaw until I was out of college and on my own.  That is when my love affair with red slaw began.  I love it.  I love it on just about anything, not just some good smoked pork bbq, I want it on my hotdogs, hamburgers or on a plate with my meal.  

It took a while for me to find a recipe I liked.  Some people just add stewed tomatoes and some hot sauce, others use a pre-mixed bbq sauce to make their slaw.  I do it make my own sauce to put on my cabbage.  

I recently made red slaw because Scott smoked a Boston pork butt and was taking it into work.  He brought the leftovers to the Fourth of July party I was attending and I believe everyone loved not just his amazing pulled pork but my slaw as well.  Or at least that is what they told me.  Plus none was left, which is always a good sign, right?

I always make my sauce for the cabbage first because I want it to have some time to marinate together.  It is better to allow it time to sit because it combines better this way.  

Measure out the vinegar and put into a bowl.



Add ketchup.



Add some hot sauce, I used Scott's homemade hot sauce.  Which by the way is smokin hot!!  Or should I say flaming HOT!!  You can use any type of hot sauce you want to use.  I normally use Texas Pete.  Which is a hot sauce made in Winston Salem.



Add some black pepper.



Add some sugar to the mix.



Blend this all together and allow it to sit at least 15 minutes.  You can make this as spicy as you would like.  



Chop a medium cabbage and add the sauce.



Mix together.



Put in the fridge and allow it to sit at least 4 hours.  I make it the day before because I like it to sit for 24 hours before eating it.  It is just better that way. 

I also add more crack black pepper once I have it mixed up.  

LEXINGTON STYLE BBQ SLAW (RED SLAW)

Ingredients
  • 1 medium cabbage
  • 2/3 cup ketchup
  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar
  • 1 to 2 teaspoons hot sauce
  • 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon of fresh cracked pepper
  • 1/4 cup sugar
Directions
  • Mix together ketchup, apple cider vinegar, hot sauce, salt, pepper, and sugar in a bowl and allow it to sit at least 15 minutes.
  • Chop the head of cabbage.
  • Blend the sauce with the cabbage and put in the fridge for at least 4 hours.  Overnight to 24 hours makes it even better.

If you like this recipe check out how to make homemade bbq dip.  

If you enjoy my blog click to follow and subscribe so you will not miss out on a recipe.

ENJOY!!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS