PICKLED OKRA ~ A NEW PICKLE IS IN TOWN



I have said this over and over again, I will pickle almost anything.  Yep, I will give anything a try.  Okra is not really a weird thing to pickle.  I have seen it pickled since I was a small child so it is not different for me.  However, some people are quite surprised that you can pickle it.

I have to admit my first attempt at pickling okra many years ago stunk!!  They came out slimy and nasty.  I threw them all out.  So be careful what you read out there.  My first try was with a recipe that said to blanch your okra first.  By no means do you need or should you ever do this!  I would love to string up who told me to do blanch them and make them eat what I threw out.  It was gosh awful disgusting.  

Since then I have mastered the technique of pickling okra.  They should never be slimy or slippery.  They should be crisp to the tongue and have a nice crunch when you take a bite out of one.  


Okra is one of those vegetables that will grow and produce all season long in abundance.  From the first pod at the beginning of summer to the last one into mid-fall.  Okra is prolific.  



In most pickle recipes I use my go-to pickle brine and this recipe is no exception.  It is a simple 1 cup water, 1 cup vinegar, and 2 tablespoons canning salt.  Please see this link for the full recipe.

First, wash your okra.  You want to make sure each pod is clean of dirt.  I then ice bath mine for 20 minutes to shock the pods making them crispier.  I also use pickle crisp to help get that crunch you want when you eat one. 


I like to use garlic cloves.


Also, I used fresh dill from my herb garden.  


Pack your pods into sterilized jars with garlic and dill.


Apply lids and rings and water bath can pints for 15 minutes.  Turn off the stove top and allow to sit for another 5 minutes then take out your jars to cool. 

You need to allow them to sit for at least 6 weeks before opening and enjoying a jar.  

ENJOY!!











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS