DEHYDRATING LEFT OVER SEEDS AND SKINS OF TOMATOES TO MAKE A POWDER


I found out how to do this last year and boy was I disappointed that I did not know it before.  I have wasted so much that I could have used.  I despise waste.  Some people laugh at Scott and me because we try to use everything we can.  Well, let me tell you that is your right but we think you are the one that is weird for wasting stuff that could be used.  I mean seriously, folks, we grow our own stuff as much as possible.  We try to be organic in all we do which is so much better for you and your body.  


This year we have been using the food mill to take the seeds and skins out when I have been making marinara, tomato soup, or tomato sauce.  I go by what I need most as to what I can first.  I have canned the salsa I needed and I hope to be done with that but now I am working on canning up some tasty marinara.  Using the food mill will separate the sauce and will leave the skins and seeds in the mill.  


I love when I do not waste something.  This really is good stuff.  Once you have your skins and seeds left and all the sauce is in the bowl under the mill you can spread the mix on your dehydrator.


.  
Add then dehydrate.  I put the temp on 125 degrees and let it go.  I would imagine it would take around 4 to 6 hours to dry completely.  Of course that is not set in stone.  



It will dry real firm.



You can keep the pieces in a ziplock until you wish to grind it and use. 



From there all you have to do is grind it up.


It makes such a nice powder.  Keep it in an airtight container.  I keep leftover spice bottles and re-use them for my herbs, mixes, and rubs.  



We mixed some with olive oil last night and used that as a dip for some homemade sourdough bread.  

Waste not, want not.  Happy Sunday and ENJOY!!

UPDATE:  I originally had this post combined with dehydrating tomato skins but I decided to separate them.  While they are kind of the same, they are really different and I felt they needed their own post. 

Also last weekend we had some friends drop by and we let them take a small bite from the dehydrated seeds and skins and they loved it and called it a cracker.  Even last night we were watching some Youtube and decided we might be on to something.  So by NO means is this or must this be used as a powder.  They are just as tasty enjoyed as a cracker.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS