DEHYDRATING TOMATO SKINS TO MAKE TOMATO POWDER

When I first did this post I had it with my blog post about Dehydrating seeds and skins of your tomatoes.  I decided that they both deserved an entire post by their selves.  Yep, it is that good and just different enough.





Last year I oven roasted my tomatoes and I decided to keep the skins.  They are easy to lift off with tongs.  The trick though is taking them off as soon as you remove them from the oven.  Otherwise, it is much harder to do.  Another way to acquire tomato skins is when you are taking off skins to can whole tomatoes.  This is how I was able to get my skins this year.  

Are you asking just why I would want to do this?  Well, it is rather a simple reason.  You can dehydrate them and grind them down to a powder.  What a powder?  Yes, a powder.  Tomato powder is a huge thing.  Nope in all honestly I must say I had never ever heard of this before and was so interested I had to do it.  

Tomato powder is an expensive little commodity.  A small bottle is costly.  Plus if I make my own not only am I not wasting something I am also making an organic product.  Meaning I know it is healthy and has no preservatives mixed into it.  Since making this last year I use it all the time.  It is so nice to add to soups. stews, or just about anything you want a tomato flavor too.  You can add it to hummus or make it into tomato sauce or paste by re-constituting it.  

Once you have some tomato skins all you have to do is put them on a dehydrator and set it to 125 degrees.


Allow it go to at least 4 hours.  It could take more, depending on your area.


Once they are dehydrated all you do is grind them up.  I use a spice grinder.


Yep, it is that simple.  I keep mine either in a spice bottle or a ziplock baggie.


If you take the time to do this once you will be hooked.  It is truly amazing stuff.  Just this week we have put some into our hummus and last night into some pasta.  Yummy stuff.  

Look for my hummus post coming up in the next day or so.  

Happy Saturday!!

ENJOY!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS