BEER BUTT CHICKEN IN THE OVEN


Lidl has whole chickens on sale for .65lb.  Needless to say, I bought a few and decided to cook one yesterday for dinner.  I normally cook my chicken in a clay roaster.  Check out the recipe here.  However, yesterday I decided I wanted to make it different so I would have some nice crispy skin because Scott likes it crisp.  

The idea of this recipe is to duplicate beer butt chicken you make on the grill.  I was out of propane for my gas grill and Scott would not have had the time to throw the chicken on the Big Green Egg.  


If you have ever made a beer butt chicken on the grill you know the concept, if you have not let me tell ya how to do it.  You basically stick your chicken on a can of beer.  Well, not the entire can but most of it.  Then you bake it.  Easy peasy, right?  

The idea of using beer is not only for enhancing the flavor but it is to help keep the chicken moist.  I normally throw a spring of rosemary down in my can of beer.  I also like to put pats of butter and smashed garlic under the skin and a couple of slices of either lemon or lime.  Of course, you need to splash a bit of olive oil on the chicken and use a good seasoning blend.  

Here are a few suggestions. 
OVEN BEER BUTT CHICKEN 

Ingredients
  • 4 lb chicken
  • 6 to 8 cloves of garlic optional
  • 2 slices of either lemon or lime optional
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 to 6 pats of butter optional
  • 4 tablespoons seasoning blend
  • 1 can of beer
Directions
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Wash and pat dry chicken
  • Smash garlic with a knife.
  • Alternate pats of butter with garlic under the skin of the chicken.  
  • Take a casserole dish and line with foil.  Spray with oil and pour 1/4 of the beer into the dish. 
  • Pour olive oil all over the chicken and sprinkle with a seasoning blend of your choice. 
  • Place the chicken on the beer can or if you have a beer can chicken rack put it on there with the beer. 
  • Place in oven and cook for an hour.
I normally cut potatoes, carrots, and onions and place them in the bottom of my casserole dish.  The chicken juices will run down into the dish and help to season the veggies.  You pretty much and use any type of veggies you like.  I love radishes added to the mix as well.  About halfway through baste the veggies with the chicken juices.  Do that about every 15 minutes from that point on.  

The first time I made this I cooked it at 425 degrees and I felt it cooked way too quick and my chicken was dry.  Also remember every oven cooks differently.  So while mine takes an hour yours might take less or even more.  

This is a quick way to put together dinner and save your time to do other stuff as the chicken cooks.  

ENJOY!!! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS