EASY DELICIOUS SALISBURY STEAK


A few years back I found a recipe for Salisbury Steak.  At first, I was a bit skeptical because my thoughts drifted back to the horrible TV dinners that had this nasty piece of some kind of meat they called steak with an equally gross gravy.  As I was reading recipes I remembered a hamburger steak recipe I was given about 20 years ago that had a mushroom gravy.  I really enjoyed that recipe and as I was looking and comparing the recipes I realized this might be really good.  I made this dish for Scott.  I had no clue how he would feel about it but he LOVED it.  

For some reason, this dish is a fall or a winter dish in my mind.  Please, you do not have to have my feelings.  It is a great dish but with it being such a warm dish I like it better in cooler or cold months because it warms your bones.  I know it would be really good to fix in the warmer months too.  

You will need some time to make this recipe the way I make it but honestly, you do not have to let it cook as long on low as I do.  I just think it helps the meat to be tender.

I am a bit weird but I have a thing with using my hands to mix ground beef.  I can not do it with meatloaf either so I am so thankful for my KitchenAid mixer.  
If you do not have one you can mix the mixture by hand or with a spatula.  



You want to make sure everything is blended well together.  



Once this is done you make patties and fry them in a bit of oil.  



You only need to brown them not totally cook them.  Since I like using the same pan to cook in, I take out the patties once they are browned so I can finish up making the gravy.



I like to saute a diced onion along with some mushrooms.  Mushrooms are totally optional.  After your onions are cooked down add some flour to the onions.  Let that cook a minute or two.



Next, you add some beef stock.  I make my own stock.  It is just so much better than anything you can purchase at the grocery store.  



Adding the stock to the thickened onion mixture helps make a delicious gravy.  



If your gravy is not as thick as you would like you can add more flour but you have to be careful when you add the flour because it is really hard to add flour to a hot mix and be able to stir or whip out the lumps.  I found if you put your flour into a wire mesh strainer and tap on it so the flour is coming out in a fine powder you will not have lumps.  If you are using mushrooms, you can add them at this time.  I can my own mushrooms so I add them in right before I add back the meat patties. 


Honestly, this is a nice warm and filling meal.  I love serving it with mashed potatoes and some sweet peas or lima beans.  



SALISBURY STEAK

Ingredients

Patties
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
  • Pinch of sea salt
Gravy
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 onion diced
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 1/2 cup beef broth
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 4 ounces mushrooms
Directions
  • In a mixing bowl add ingredients for the patties and blend well.  
  • Preheat a large skillet and add *1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil.  
  • Form meat patties and add into preheated skillet.  Cook patties until they are brown on each side.  Take out of the skillet and set aside.
  • Add butter to skillet.
  • Dice onion and add to skillet.  Cook down for 5 to 6 minutes.
  • Add flour to the onions, cook for 2 minutes.  Add thyme and cook another minute until fragrant.  
  • Slowly add beef stock to onion mix to form a gravy.  Allow to cook until thickened.  Add the meat patties back to the gravy and cook on low for about 30 minutes.  
I made this a few weeks ago while my husband was out hunting with one of his friends and his kids.  When the kids came back they were hungry and they destroyed this dish.  Now that is saying a lot when a kid eats a couple of patties all my himself.  

I hope you will try this recipe.  It is one of my favorites to make.  It is good ole comfort food to me.  Let me know if you make this dish.  Please comment.  

Happy Sunday Evening.

ENJOY!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS