EASY TZATZIKI SAUCE


I love Greek food.  Something about Meditteranean food just lights a fire in me.  My friend Sophie is Greek and I have really been wanting to meet her grandparents and learn how to make some of the authentic ways of cooking Greek food.  

A few weeks ago I cooked a boneless leg of lamb roast and for some reason, my taste buds were yelling at me to make a gyro with thin slices of garlic rosemary lamb.  Which means I needed to make tzatziki sauce.  Now by no means can I say this recipe is authentic.  I will say that it turned out rather tasty.  Scott loved it.  

With the spirit of wanting this to be as authentic as I could make it, I decided to make homemade Greek yogurt.  


Chop some garlic cloves


Chop the cucumber


Combine Greek yogurt, cucumbers, olive oil, salt, garlic, dill, and white wine vinegar and some white pepper.  I chose to use fresh dill.  I am sure you can use dried dill weed.  If you use dried remember you need to use much less.  

TZATZIKI SAUCE

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 to 2 cups Greek yogurt
  • 1 cucumber, seeded and chopped
  • 1/8 cup fresh chopped dill (if using dried 1/2 teaspoon)
  • 2 cloves of garlic minced
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
Directions
  • Seed and chop cucumber.
  • Mince garlic.
  • Chop dill.
  • Combine all ingredients in a bowl.  Chill at least 4 hours but better to chill overnight.  
Variations: 
  • Sometimes Greek yogurt can be overpowering.  To keep the strong flavor down you can use half sour cream and half Greek yogurt.
  • Add a small amount of fresh lemon juice.
  • Substitute white wine vinegar with white vinegar. 
  • Ground white pepper is optional.
  • You can use an English cucumber that is seedless but then you need to drain the cucumber.
While I used mine in a gyro this sauce can be used as a dip with vegetables.  You can also make homemade pita chips and dip them in your tzatziki sauce.  

I hope you will try out this recipe and let me know how you liked it.  

In the meantime, ENJOY!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS