HOMEMADE ELDERBERRY SYRUP RECIPE


I tried really hard not to catch Scott's cold, but alas, I started coming down with this junk yesterday.  Head and ears clogged up, throat sore, and my glands are swollen.  Overall I feel rather yucky.  I have been up since 2:23 am and I do not see me going back to sleep.  I have been using my peppermint and eucalyptus essential oils but I need something stronger.   FYI I am on my second cup of coffee.  Me, with 2 cups of coffee will be interesting because I rarely drink a whole cup and even more rarely do I drink coffee daily.  

As I was laying in bed feeling quite miserable I kept on thinking about my stash of dried elderberries I purchased a few weeks back to make Elderberry syrup with.  I have never made syrup but we do make wine with elderberries we pick that grow wild near our house.  Unfortunately at 4 am it is not the time to make me some elderberry syrup.  Scott tells me I am too loud, so the last thing I want to do is wake him up.  Note, elderberries cannot be eaten raw.  They are poisonous so you must cook or use their juice.  

Since I could not sleep I figured I would do my research again on how to make this wonderful elixir.  I have always liked that word.  I am a huge History buff and in my studies, that word comes up a lot.  It is funny how hundreds of years ago a person that studied and knew how to use herbs and such could easily be branded a witch.  I guess that really is not funny but more of an interesting fact of history.  I much prefer trying to use natural stuff, preferably that I grow to heal my body.  Such as Rose Water.  Also here are some benefits of using rose water.  

*Please NOTE that elderberries should never be consumed raw.  They are poisonous when digested raw.  Seeds, stems, leaves, and roots of the Black Elder plant contain cyanide-inducing glycoside when ingesting enough can cause a toxic build up of cyanide in your body.

Elderberries are full of natural vitamin A, B, and C, which helps your immune system.  

This elderberry syrup contains ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and raw honey.  All for a reason.  Each contains antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, and antifungal qualities.  Which promote healing, helps reduce infections, warns off bacteria, and fights fungal infections.  

Ginger helps reduce pain and helps to fight off infections.  

Cinnamon contains cinnamaldehyde which helps fight of various bacterias and fungal infections. 

Cloves is full of important vitamins and minerals. Cloves contain antimicrobial properties which help the growth of microorganisms such as bacteria.   

Raw Honey is so good for you.  Especially if you can obtain some local raw honey.  Honey is known to help with allergies. Local honey is known to be better for you due to your locations pollens which can cause your seasonal allergies.  Honey is known to heal wounds and soothe sore throats.

I chose to use ground ginger.  My reasoning was by grinding ginger into powder it increases shogaols which may be more beneficial for medicinal purposes.  While if using fresh you have more gingerol which has high anti-inflammatory compounds.  However, since shogaols have the same and might be better for medicinal purposes I chose to use ground ginger.  

I also chose to use my instant pot versus the stove top method.  I am sick guys.  I need this sooner versus later.  


I combined all my ingredients in a bowl.  Isn't it pretty?




Poured water into the inner pot of my instant pot.


Added my dry ingredients.


All combined.  Cover and seal your IP and set for 9 minutes.  



I have to admit this smells good.  The elderberry mixed with the ginger, cinnamon, and cloves gives off such a nice aroma.  At least I can still smell, right?  

Do a quick release.


Once the valve has dropped you can open your IP.  Look what you have?  Doesn't that look good?


Do you see how the water and heat combined with the dry ingredients brought out the juice and oils from the berries?  Now you have to let it cool.  I am going to put a lid on it and set it outside.  The temperatures outside will are in the 30's which will help to cool my liquid so I can add the honey and enjoy.  I figure an hour will enough time for the liquid to cool.  


Strain and press out any remaining juice.



Or you can use a food mill.



Mix honey into the liquid to make a syrup.



ELDERBERRY SYRUP 

Ingredients
  • 2/3 cup of dried elderberries
  • 3 cups distilled water
  • 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root or 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon cloves
  • 1 cup local raw honey
Directions 
  • In a saucepan add dried elderberries, water, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves.  Bring to a boil.  
  • Reduce heat and simmer until the liquid has reduced in half.
  • Allow liquid to cool.  Strain out solids.  If you have a ricer you can use it to get all the liquid out of the berries.  Or you can use the back of a spoon to press out all the liquid.
  • Add honey to liquid and stir until mixed thoroughly. 
Dosage:  Children 1/2 teaspoon.  Adults 1/2 tablespoon every 2 to 3 hours to help to prevent a cold.  Adults can take up to 2 tablespoons, 3 or 4 times a day for treatment of a cold.  Children under 2 should not take elderberry syrup due to containing honey.  

Dosage:  Kids 1/2 teaspoon.  Adults 1/2 tablespoon every 2 to 3 hours.

Fun Facts about Elderberries
Elderberries are high in flavonoids which are plant based antioxidants.  They are higher in antioxidants than blackberries, goji berries, cranberries, and even blueberries.  They are also high in vitamin A and C.  They are full of anti-inflammatory properties.  

Oh this stuff tastes good.  Going to take some every few hours for the next few days to see how it works. 

ENJOY!!  It's Friday!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS