HOW TO CAN CHICKEN AND WAYS TO USE IT


Have you ever heard of canned chicken?  You can buy a can of chicken at the store.  Well, I like to can my own chicken.  Are you asking why would you can chicken?  On almost all of my canning posts, I have hit on this before.  Why I can, especially when it is something that as cheap in the store.  I personally love to can stuff.  I enjoy knowing where my food comes from and just exactly what I put in it.  You have no clue what you are eating when you open a jar of something you purchased from the store.  

I have been canning all kinds of meat for a while now.  I love the fact I can open up a jar of canned meat and make a meal really quick.  

In this day and age where our world has gone a bit crazy, it is nice to know I can put stuff up for later that is much healthier than what I can buy at the grocery store.  

Anytime I see chicken on sale I buy it.  So, when I found boneless skinless chicken breast on sale for .89 a pound, I just could not pass it up.  Our freezers are full so I had to do something with the 30 pounds I purchased.  Canning sounded good, plus I was out of it. 




Canning chicken is so surprisingly easy.  All you have to do is cut up the chicken, put the pieces in clean jars.  




You can add salt if you wish.


I do not add water because chicken creates enough liquid in the jars once you pressure can it.  The way I can chicken is called raw pack.

Add lids.


Rims.


Put into your pressure canner.


Cook per your canner instructions.  Here is a good site for safety instructions.


They turn out so nice and pretty.

It takes about a pound of chicken per pint.  Two pounds per quart.  

I canned pints and quarts.  When I do this I do a canner full of pints than a canner full of quarts.  However, if you mix quarts and pints, you must pressure can by the instructions of the quarts.  

Instructions on Canning Chicken or Rabbit
  • Use fresh chicken or rabbit, cut into pieces.  I prefer mine deboned.  
  • Add pieces into clear canning jars.
  • Apply new clean lids, twist on rings finger tight.
  • Add to the canner.  Use your canner's instructions.  
  • Once your time frame is up, cut off the heat and allow your canner to cool and decompress.  Once the gauge is at zero, allow to sit another 10 minutes and then open the lid.  
  • All jars should seal within 24 hours.  
  • Pints time frame is 75 minutes.  Quarts 90 minutes.
Here are 20 ways to use can chicken.  
  1. Chicken Noodle Soup
  2. Chicken Salad  
  3. Add some to a Salad
  4. Buffalo Chicken Dip
  5. Sliders
  6. Chicken casserole
  7. Pasta dishes
  8. Chicken Enchiladas
  9. White Chicken Pizza
  10. Chicken and Rice
  11. Chicken quesadilla
  12. Ranch chicken dip
  13. Chicken burritos
  14. Chicken Tortilla soup
  15. Chicken and Wild Rice soup
  16. White Chicken Chili.
  17. Chicken Salad with grapes
  18. Cajun Chicken Pasta
  19. Chicken Orzo Soup
  20. Chicken Corn Chowder
ENJOY!!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS