HONEY GARLIC PORK ROAST


It seems most of my experiments are due to scanning the web for new ideas with stuff we have on hand.  A few weeks ago I was looking at various recipes that my friends had suggested.  I thought while the idea was interesting the sweet factor for us was a bit too much.  Of course, I had to change and figure out what we would like and with doing so I came up with a version that was sweet but had a twang we tend to like.  Now, I do have to admit living in North Carolina has colored my view on BBQ and it's sauce.  This recipe is not a BBQ recipe.  However, it does have a similarity that will stand out for people that understand NC BBQ.  With that said, it really is totally different.  I make my own NC style bbq sauce and the sauce in the recipe has nothing to do with that but it does incorporate apple cider vinegar and my changes to the various recipes out on the web make it quite interesting. 

When you are picking your pork you really can use about anything.  You can choose a pork roast, pork loin, or in my case a small boneless pork butt.  I love a good deal and when I came across this boneless pork butt for less than 50 cents a pound I had to buy one.  

With all the issues we have had with freezers and our main refrigerator, I felt it important to use up some of the meat we have on hand quicker than normal.  We had one of our freezers last July stop working.  The bad thing was in a few days we were going on vacation.  We really had to scramble to figure that one out.  Thank goodness for friends.  We had to farm out the food in that freezer to some friends that were not using one of their freezers.  The last few weeks our fridge in the kitchen has been giving us fits.  We have thawed it out twice now.  Scott thinks he might have figured out the issue.  Sure hope so.  I really was not wanting to invest in a new fridge at this very moment.  

I love the fact this recipe is a 2 step process on the meat.  When we smoke a Boston pork butt we use a rub that I make.  Click here for that recipe.  You start with a homemade rub.  


Measure out your ingredients in a small bowl and mix together.


Apply the rub to your pork.




I allow my pork to sit for about an hour before I move onto the next step which is a wet marinade.  Start with melting butter.  


Add garlic, honey and apple cider vinegar.


Measure out those ingredients and put them into the saucepan with the butter.


I had my pork in my crockpot resting so I just had to pour the marinade on top of my pork butt.


I decided on cooking the pork on low in the crockpot.  After 6 hours it was wonderfully cooked.


This made a delightful dinner.  I love to mix things up a bit and this truly was nice for a change.  

HONEY GARLIC PORK

Ingredients
  • 3 to 5-pound pork roast
  • 1 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 2 teaspoon thyme
  • 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon hatch chili powder or cayenne
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
  • 1/2  teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup melted butter
  • 1/4 to 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 4 cloves garlic minced
Directions
  • Mix garlic salt, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, smoked paprika, chili powder, ground pepper, and salt together to make a dry rub.
  • Apply rub all over pork and allow to sit for an hour or more.
  • Melt butter.  Once butter is melted add garlic and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.  Add honey and apple cider vinegar.  Cook for another 5 minutes on low.  
  • Put pork in crockpot and add marinade.  
  • Cook on low or 6 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 6 hours.  
  • If you wish to thicken the gravy add a cornstarch and water slurry.  One tablespoon cornstarch and 3 tablespoons water.  
Directions for Dutch oven:  Follow the above 4 steps.  Place in a Dutch oven and cook for 2 to 3 hours on 300 degrees.  





Recipe to follow in the next few days.  

ENJOY!!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS