DELICIOUS 3 INGREDIENT RASPBURY JAM~SMALL BATCH

We have had a few raspberry bushes/briars for 3 years now.  I had to talk Scott into allowing me to have raspberries.  Raspberries do not grow well in our area so he gave in and we planted 6 of them.  Last year they barely produced anything and Scott told me if they did nothing the next year (this year) he was pulling them and replacing them with blackberries.  Well, they gave me enough this year to make a small batch of raspberry jam.  Yay, that means I get to keep them.

I have never made raspberry jam before.  BUT I have made plenty of other jams or jellies.  So, how hard could it be?  I looked up several recipes but decided to pretty much go by the box of sure-gel I had to make this recipe.  


I took 4 cups of raspberries and put them in my large enamel-lined dutch oven.  I allowed them to come to a boil slowly.  I did not want them to burn.  As they were warming up I mashed them a bit as you can see in the picture below.



Next, I added 3 cups of sugar.




Allow this to come to a rolling boil.  If you are unfamiliar with what a rolling boil means, it is a boil that you can not stir down.



Then I added 1 pack of sure-gel low sugar.  Stirred that in really well.  I wound up having to use a whisk.
.


Allowed this to come back to a rolling boil for 1 minute.




I had already sterilized st my jelly jars in boiling water.  Next, I took my jars out of the water and added the jam to the jars.  Put on the lids and rings.  Rings go on finger tight. 




Put the 4 jars of jam into my water bath for 10 minutes.  Once the 10 minutes was over, I cut off the heat and allowed the jars to rest an additional 10 minutes before taking out.


I was so happy with the flavor of the jam.  



You can make raspberry jam without pectin.  I chose to due to the fact I barely had enough berries to make 4 cups.  I have found if you do not have plenty of berries when you are making jam without pectin that you have a really small turn out.  I wanted at least 4 jars.  When I make blueberry jam I rarely use pectin but I have a lot of blueberries from our bushes.  Click here for my blueberry jam no pectin recipe.

RASPBERRY JAM 

Yields 4-8 oz jars.

Ingredients
  • 4 cups raspberries
  • 3 cups of sugar
  • 1 box of low pectin sure-gel optional
Directions
  • Wash and clean your berries and allow to dry. 
  • Sterilize your canning jars.
  • Prepare a water bath canner.
  • Use a non-reactive pot and put the berries into the pot.  Allow coming to a boil slowly.  Mash the berries as they warm.  Stir frequently.
  • Add sugar slowly.  One cup at a time, stirring well in between each cup so that the sugar dissolves well.
  • Allow the jam to come to a rolling boil and then add 1 box of pectin.  Again stirring frequently and allowing it to come to a rolling boil again.  Allow it to boil for 1 minute.  
  • Ladle jam into jars.  Make sure you clean the rims of your jars well before adding lids and rings.  Rings go on finger tight.
  • Add jars to the boiling water in your water bath.  Cover and cook for 10 minutes.  After 10 minutes is over take off heat and allow to cool for an additional 10 minutes. 
  • Take out of water bath.  All jars should seal in 24 hours.  
I always get excited when making something new.  This was so easy to make and again the pectin is totally optional.  

Feel free to make comments.  Please subscribe and follow me.  Subscribe is on my home screen and to follow me that is under the menu button.  

ENJOY!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS