SOUTHERN STYLE POTATO SALAD MADE EASY


I have never once made what I call normal potato salad.  I have made baked potato salad and my favorite red skin potato salad but never, not once have I had Southern Potato Salad.  However, Scott wanted some potato salad that has a bit of mustard and eggs.  While I am not a huge fan of this type of potato salad, I have to admit it was pretty darn good.  


I made the mayonnaise mixture first.  Which consists of mayonnaise, mustard, apple cider vinegar, paprika, salt, pepper, celery seeds, and sweet relish.  I used a squash relish I had canned and it was perfect.


Next, wash your potatoes and cut them in half and toss in water and bring to boil.  Cook just till they are getting tender.  You do not want them mushy.  You want them to be able to hold together.  Yes, you leave the skins on the potatoes.  


Next slice your celery and I added red onions. 


Chop some onion.


After your potatoes are done cooking take them out and put them in ice water.  This stops the cooking process.  You do not have to cool them off completely but you do not want them too hot.  Once they are a good temperature you can peel them.  The skins come off really easy and you may not even need a knife.  If some are really stuck leave them on.  

Cut the potatoes into bite-size pieces.  Then add your celery, onions, and mayonnaise mixture and stir well.


Here in the South people take potato salad to every gathering.  It is a staple when cooking out. 


SOUTHERN STYLE POTATO SALAD

Ingredients
  • 3 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes
  • 1 to 1 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
  • 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons sweet or dill relish
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • Pepper to taste
  • 3  hard-boiled eggs
  • 3 stalks celery
  • 1/2 small onion
Directions
  • Make the mayonnaise mixture by combining mayonnaise, mustard, apple cider vinegar, paprika, celery seed and relish in a bowl.
  • Boil and cool 3 eggs.  (hard-boiled)  I used my IP.
  • Wash and cut potatoes in half.  Place in a pot of water, making sure the water covers the potatoes by a couple of inches.  Bring to boil.  Cooking around 10 to 15 minutes.
  • While the potatoes are cooking wash and slice the celery and peel and chop the onion.
  • Once potatoes are cooked take out and place in an ice-water bath for 10 to 15 minutes.  Drain off water and peel potatoes.  Cut them into bite-size pieces.  
  • Peel your eggs and cut them into pieces.
  • Add potatoes, celery, onions and mayonnaise mixture into a bowl and combine well.  Fold in chopped eggs.  
  • Cool in the fridge for at least 2 hours but better overnight.
I have already been told I am to make this for a birthday party that is held in August each year.  LOL

ENJOY!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS