THE BEST SOURDOUGH BREAD YET USING SOME WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR


I love making sourdough bread.  I try hard not to eat too much of it though.  But it is so much fun to make and give to friends.

I have played around numerous times with my starter, making various bread.  From focaccia, sandwich, cinnamon rolls, sweet bread, pizza crust but it has been a while since I used some whole wheat flour.  I decided I wanted to play around and see what I could do. 



First, I was going for getting the correct ratio of whole wheat flour to bread flour.  I did not want the bread to be too dense.  In the past, I have had that issue and I personally was not fond of it but others were.  Second, I was going for a crunchy crust.  Which meant I had to create some steam in the oven.  Last but not least, I was going for different shapes.  I think I nailed all 3. 

As I mentioned this recipe is sourdough and the starter I used was a potato flake starter.  If you do not have a starter click here for the recipe. 

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving so if you do not have a starter already, it is probably too late to make this bread for tomorrow.  However, if you are planning on having Thanksgiving this weekend you got this!  Just follow the instructions on how to make the starter.  Of course, you do not have to make this for Thanksgiving.  



Since I was playing around I did not need both loaves I made.  I sent the round loaf with Scott to work with some savoy can goods.  Because this bread is savoy.  It would not go well with sweet unless you leave off the topping.  Which is kind of a secret ingredient.



My basic recipe for sourdough is also on the starter link but I changed up some things.




SAVOY WHEAT SOURDOUGH BREAD

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 1 cup distilled water
  • 1 1/4 cup of starter
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 pack instant yeast~optional
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 5 cups bread flour
  • secret ingredient will come in the instructions
Directions
  • Mix the first ingredients together.  Once it comes together knead by hand for 8 to 10 minutes or in a stand-up mixer for 5.  Do not allow it to come apart.  So the timing may vary.  Note: you do not have to use the instant yeast.  You just need more time to allow it to rise.  
  • Place in a bowl that has been sprayed with oil that is big enough for it to rise to 4 times the amount that you have.  
  • Place a clean towel or I use a plastic shower cap that I buy from the dollar store.  You get 8 or so for a dollar.  If you use the plastic shower cap, spray it with oil as well.  Yo do not want anything to stick.
  • I put my bowl in the oven with only the light left on.  This will allow it to rise fairly quickly.
  • Once the dough has risen to about 4 times it's the size, punch it down.  At this time you are will decide your shape.  If you want to make loaves it will make 2.  I decided to braid part of my dough and shape the other into a round loaf.  Put them into whatever you plan on baking them in.  The round loaf, I used a dutch oven.  My braid I just use a casserole dish.  Place both loaves onto parchment and then into your baking dish.  This is where you use the secret ingredient.  It is none other than, Everything bagel seasoning.  Just sprinkle some on the top.  Add an egg wash and sprinkle a bit more.  
  • Allow to rise again.  The time may vary depending on the loaf you are baking.  Normally between 2 to 4 hours.
  • Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown.  About 20 to 30 minutes.  
To make the crust nice and crunchy you have to add steam within the first 10 minutes of cooking.  You can do this a couple of different ways.  You can add a bowl of water when you preheat your oven and allow it to get steamy before you add your bread or you can spritz the oven with water.  I like the second method better.  

Also, you can score the dough loaf just seconds before putting it in the oven.  Just take a sharp knife or razor blade.  It makes a gorgeous loaf.


The Everything Bagel seasoning really makes this nice and pretty but also savoy.  You can leave that off and add another tablespoon of sugar to the ingredients and get a normal wheat sourdough bread.  It is your option.  

ENJOY and Happy Thanksgiving!!

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS