HEALTHY CUCUMBER SALSA

 CUCUMBER SALSA


Yes, you read that correctly.  I am making salsa with cucumbers.  I have to admit I was leary at first but I had some extra cucumbers and I ran across a recipe and thought, mmm, let's try this.  We just might like it.  And boy, oh boy was I correct.  It is yummy gooooodddd.  I need to add I adapted the original recipe so I will not give a link to the recipe I found online.

This is so easy to make and only takes like 5 minutes to put together.  Plus you only need a few ingredients.  English cucumber, sweet grape tomatoes, purple onion, jalapeno, lime juice, and a tiny bit of salt.  Gather all your ingredients and chop them up.  Toss the veggies together and sprinkle with fresh lime juice and salt. It is honestly that simple. 

Today is Super Bowl Sunday, so I felt this would be a great snack for some football!!!  

CUCUMBER SALSA

Ingredients

  • 1 English cucumber chopped
  • 15 to 20 sweet grape tomatoes chopped
  • 1/2 purple onion chopped
  • 1 jalapeno chopped
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • dash of salt
Directions
  • Chop the cucumber, grape tomatoes, onion, and jalapeno. Combine in a bowl.
  • Add lime juice and salt to the vegetable mixture and toss to coat.
  • Chill for at least an hour before serving.
Variations

  • You can use any type of tomato.  I chose a melody of grape tomatoes simply because I am hooked on the ones I buy at Sam's Club. During the summer months, I would be using tomatoes from my garden but in the off-season I find grape tomatoes to have a better flavor.  You could also use more tomatoes.
  • You could use really any type of cucumber but if you are using cucumbers that have a ton of seeds I would take the seeds out.  You do not want this salsa too juicy.  
  • If you want this extra spicy add more jalapenos.  
  • Of course, you can always double or triple this recipe.  
  • You can add cilantro to give it a more authentic salsa flavor.  The recipe I found actually called for cilantro but Scott is not a big fan.  So, I left it out.  
  • Fresh chopped garlic would be a good addition.  

While this is a salsa it does not mean you have to use it for a dip.  You can use it on top of fish, fajitas, on tacos, on grilled chicken.  You could add chickpeas to the salsa and have a meal.  The list could go on and on.  But, if you are going to use it as a salsa break out some good chips and enjoy.

Scott is also smoking some wild boar ribs on our Big Green Egg.  

HAPPY SUPER BOWL SUNDAY


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS