STRAWBERRY PRESERVES~ A FEW DIFFERENT WAYS



It is strawberry season here in North Carolina. I love strawberry season.  Nothing quite like a fresh strawberry hand-picked from my own patch.  I love to watch them grow and mature to delicious red ripe berries.  




Our grandson, Jace, loves to sit there and eat them, dirt and all.  He is so cute.  He loves strawberries and blueberries.  I guess that is a good thing.  He tells me all the time he wants berries.  As I was picking Sunday he told me, Oh Grammy I love strawberries.  He will be 4 on Halloween.  He is our little pumpkin.  



We put our patch in 4 springs ago.  I had tried to grow them before many years ago and I did not do too well.  This time our patch has been great.  I remember the first year how excited I was to make jam with my own berries.  Now a few years later I have come up with a wonderful low sugar jam that allows you to really taste the strawberry goodness.  Plus as a bonus a few years ago I decided to add jalapenos to my jam.  Now that is quite delectable.  Just a hint of heat with a sweet finish.   


Naturally, with it being my favorite I have taken advantage of our patch.  My favorite jam has always been strawberry.  Nothing quite like a warm biscuit smothered with butter and topped with homemade strawberry preserves. Or add it to homemade yogurt topped with granola.

Canning is so much fun.  It really is becoming a dying art form. Some people are still "putting up" food.  Yeah I know you can buy a jar of jelly or jam in the store fairly cheap but do you know how the fruit was grown?  What chemicals were used?  Think about the preservatives they use as well.  This is why I love canning stuff.  Scott and I try really hard to grow organically.  I have to admit I love going downstairs and looking at my can goods.  It warms my heart to know I was able to do that for us to enjoy later.  

So, as the season is starting I thought I would share my jam recipes.  Honestly, all 3 are great but my preference is the low sugar because I love tasting the fruit and not all sugar.  Please note that the jalapeno jam is just one change in the homemade strawberry jam so look at the note at the bottom.


First, you combine your strawberries pectin and bring to a rolling boil.  Once you are at a rolling boil (means a boil you can not stir down) add your sugar very slowly allowing it to melt a cup at a time. Bring back to a rolling boil for one minute. 




...Add your jelly to your jars and water bath can for 10 minutes in jelly jars (8 oz jars) or 15 in pints.




... If you are making Strawberry jalapeno jam add your jalapenos in with your fruit while boiling with the sugar.  To decorate you can add a slice of jalapeno to your jars.








HOMEMADE STRAWBERRY JAM

Ingredients
  • 5 Cups strawberries 
  • 1/4 Cup lemon juice 
  • 1 pack sur jell
  • 7 Cups sugar
Directions
  • Crush strawberries and add them with your lemon juice in a large saucepan.
  • Slowly add in the sur jell
  • Bring to a rolling boil.
  • Slowly add sugar a half cup at a time, stirring well as you add.
  • Bring back to a rolling boil and boil for 1 minutes.
  • Ladle into sterilized jelly jars, add lid and rings.
  • Water bath can for 10 minutes.  If doing pints water bath for 15 minutes.
Note to make Strawberry Jalapeno Jam reduce strawberries to 4 cups and add one cup finely chopped jalapenos.  

To make Strawberry Balsamic reduce lemon juice by 1tbsp and add 3 tbsp white balsamic vinegar.


LOW SUGAR STRAWBERRY JAM


Ingredients
  • 10 Cup strawberries
  • 1 pack of low sugar sur jell
  • 1/4 Cup lemon juice
  • 4 Cups sugar
Directions
  • Mash your strawberries and combine them with the lemon juice, sur jell, and a 1/4 cup sugar saucepan pan.  Bring to a rolling boil.
  • Add remaining sugar to the saucepan.  Bring back to a rolling boil for 1 minute or to you reach 210 degrees.
  • Ladle into sterilized jelly jars or pint jars.  Add lids and rings.
  • Water bath can jelly jars for 10 minutes and pints for 15 minutes. 

ENJOY!!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS