HEALTHY HOMEMADE GRANOLA


I needed to make some granola today and I decided to play around and try to cut some of the sugar from the normal granola I make that happened to come from my dear friend Pam.  That is why it is named Pam's Granola.  Do not get me wrong her recipe is to die for and I have been making it since I posted the recipe but Scott and I have been trying to cut more sugar from our diets.

Granola is super easy to make and only takes about 30 to 40 minutes to finish and most of that is time in the oven.  It only takes a few ingredients too.  It is a fun thing to make and kids love to help make it.  One of my friends precious little girl loves to come over to my house and help me cook.  So, Miss Abby, next time you come we need to make this for you to take home.  

I have been sick off and on for about 2 weeks and I kept on putting off making this.  I always forget how quick and simple it is to toss together.  

Start by getting a large mixing bowl and adding the oats.


Next, add your almonds.  I also used some sunflower seeds. 


If you decide to use coconut add that in as well.


Toss a bit of cinnamon in the bowl.


Give it a good stir to blend well.


I decided to add some cranberries at the last moment.


Mix together maple syrup or honey, canola oil, and vanilla extracts. 


Stir it again to mix the liquid ingredients in with the dry to combine very well.


Pour your granola into a parchment lined baking pan.


Cook for 10 minutes.  Open your oven and give it a good stir.  Cook for an additional 10 to 15 minutes.  Notice the color difference in the uncooked and cooked.


HEALTHY HOMEMADE GRANOLA 

Ingredients

  • 5 cups old fashioned roll oats
  • 1 1/2 cup of nuts and/or seeds mixed
  • 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut optional
  • 1/2 cup dried fruit optional
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup or honey
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • In a large mixing bowl add oats, nuts, cinnamon.  If you are using optional ingredients add them as well.
  • Mix dry ingredients to combine well.
  • Mix in a small bowl maple syrup or honey, canola oil, and vanilla.  
  • Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir well.
  • Pour granola on a parchment lined baking sheet and cook for 10 minutes.  Take out and give the granola a good stir and then put back into the oven for 10 to 15 more minutes.
Your optional ingredients are just that.  Add if you desire that ingredient into your granola.  You can use any type of nuts you want.  In this one, I used slivered almonds.  I have used sliced almonds, pecans pieces, and walnut pieces.  If you chose to add seeds.  You can use pumpkin seeds, squash seeds, sesame seeds.  You can even add some flax seeds.  Really you can add whichever or whatever kind you want.  Remember this is yours.  You will be eating it.  If you add more ingredients in measurement then what the recipe calls for you will need to adjust the amount of the wet ingredients so it will cover the dry amount.  

If you want to use dried fruit I have found that cranberries are delicious because they will give your granola some sugar but also a bit of tartness.  Raisins and dried blueberries are good as well.  

Same with the using honey or maple syrup.  I have both on hand but I have more maple syrup then I do honey.  I am a bit of a honey snob and rarely can find the type I grew up with and love so I did not use my honey in this recipe.  Do not get me wrong I am sure it would have made it beyond delicious but I do not have much left and it will probably be a while before I can find more.  

I make my own vanilla extracts.  Click here for the recipe.  If you ever make your own you will never want to buy vanilla extract again.

If you noticed I did not add any extra sugar or salt.  I used roasted sunflower seeds so they had enough salt.  As far as sugar goes, by using maple syrup or honey you are staying more healthy since both are all natural.  The flavor I achieved when making this granola was perfect.  It had just the right amount of salt and sugar.  Remember if you add a dried fruit that will also give it more sugar content.  

I love to add granola to my homemade Greek Yogurt.  There are so many different ways you can use granola.  Below are just a few ways to use granola.
  • Steel cut oats.  Just make some steel cut oats and add a bit of granola before you eat.
  • Yogurt.  As mentioned above granola is great sprinkled on the top of yogurt.
  • Salad.  Yeah, you can add some to your salad for a satisfying crunch. 
  • Ice cream.  Add some to make a sundae.  
  • Fruit.  Add some to fruit to make a fruit crisp.
  • Pudding.  Kids love pudding.  Sprinkle some on their serving.
  • Do a combine with oatmeal and yogurt.  Toss a spoonful or two onto the top.
  • Trail Mix.  This is another good way to give kids a good snack.  Toss granola with chocolate chips, more nuts, seeds, and dried fruits.  
  • Muffins.  Add a couple of spoonsful into your muffin mix for an added crunch factor.
  • Chewy Granola Bars.  This is another way to have a quick healthy snack or breakfast.
  • French Toast.  Top your French toast with a bit of granola.  
  • Pancakes.  Same as French toast.  Toss a spoonful on top of your pancakes.
  • Parfait.  Layer yogurt and granola to fill a cup.  Top with some fresh fruit.
One more tip.  Do not over cook your granola.  You do not want it as dark as what you would buy in the store.  If you overcook your granola it will have a burnt taste.  While every oven is different, I found in this recipe 25 minutes is perfect.  

ENJOY!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS