CHICKEN LOMBARDY~KIND OF A COPYCAT BUT WITH A SPIN

Well, I had a major oops on my phone today.  I have no clue what happened.  When I cut it on it was like I had to reset everything on my phone as if it was new.  Of course, my heart is dropping because I had so many pictures for the blog on my phone.  As I was going through the procedure to set up my phone it asked something about my SD card.  All I can say is thank goodness I had purchased a mini SD and inserted into my phone.  If I had not I would have lost all my picture and just about everything on my phone.  I guess that is what I get for waiting several weeks to make this post.  

This recipe has the makings of something deliciously spectacular.  You take thinly sliced chicken, add some sauteed mushrooms, a couple kinds of cheese, and a delicious wine sauce and you have something mouthwatering.  I added some sun-dried tomatoes and garlic to kick up the recipe going around online.  Throw in some herbs and you have something restaurant worthy of serving your friends.  Oh wait, this recipe is based on a dish Olive Garden created.  Or so the internet says.  I can not say because I do not know.  I just know what I have read.  

I have to admit this is the first time I made it and I was not disappointed.  Now, of course, as I stated I added some much more than what you can find online in other recipes.  I love the flavor when I am cooking.  AND lord knows, I love garlic.  


I made this a few weeks back and pretty much meal prepped it in the late morning to early afternoon.   I love when I have the time to meal prep for the evening meal.  It makes cooking so much more fun.  



Start by slicing and sauteing your mushrooms.  I also shredded the 2 cheese. 



I used a homemade compound butter.  It a basil garlic butter to saute my mushrooms in.  I thought this would give them a really nice flavor.  Mushrooms suck up liquid before they release their own natural juices.  





Take those out of the pan and set aside.




I like shredding my own cheese.  This way you do not get as many preservatives.




My chicken was rather thick so I sliced it in half to make 4 thinner slices. 




Dip the raw chicken in a seasoned flour mix.




This time I used olive oil to fry the chicken.  As you can see I use cast iron.  If you know and understand how to use cast iron you will fall in love with cooking with it.  Plus it is a great way to get iron in your diet.  Scott collects vintage cast iron. 



I had to do my chicken in 2 batches because I do not want to crown my pan. 



Once the chicken is browned take it out of the pan and start your wine reduction sauce.  





Now to assemble your dish.  I normally foil line my casserole dish so it is an easier cleanup.  Put the chicken down first and add the mushrooms.



Top with sun-dried tomatoes.


Add your cheese.


Pour your wine reduction on to the chicken, allowing it to pool on the sides.  Top with the 2 cheese mixture and bake.



CHICKEN LOMBARDY

Ingredients
  • 4 to 6 skinless thin sliced chicken breast
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons butter, compound if you have it*
  • 1/2 cup seasoned flour (1/2 t salt, 1/2 t pepper, 1/2 t garlic powder)
  • 1 carton of mushrooms
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 3/4 cup of marsala wine
  • 1/2 cup chicken stock*
  • 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella 
  • 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
Directions
  • Heat a large skillet. While skillet is heating slice mushrooms.
  • Add butter to skillet and pour in mushrooms.  While they are cooking shredded cheese, combine in a bowl, and slice the chicken thinly.  Mix salt, pepper, and garlic with flour.
  • Once mushrooms are done take out and set aside.  
  • Dredge chicken in the flour mixture. Add olive oil to the pan along with chicken to brown.  Do not overcrowd your chicken.  Cook in batches.
  • Once the chicken is done set aside. 
  • Add wine and chicken stock into the pan and deglaze.  Allow this to cook  Season with garlic powder and Italian seasoning.  Bring to boil and reduce heat to simmer.  Cook about 10 minutes to reduce the sauce.
  • Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
  • Prepare a casserole dish and lay chicken down in a dish, top with mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, pour wine sauce around chicken, and top with cheese mixture. 
  • Bake until cheese is melted.  15 to 20 minutes.
This is one of those dishes that is so much better the next day.  Do not get me wrong it was good the day I made it but with so many Italian style foods, it just gets better after a day.  

*I make my own broth click here to learn how.  I also make my own compound butter.  It is so easy to make.  click here for that recipe.


Happy Tuesday!  ENJOY!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS