HOMESTYLE HOMEMADE CHICKEN SOUP

HOMESTYLE HOMEMADE CHICKEN SOUP


What do you do when your husband is snoring and hacking all night?  Well, to his benefit he was snoring because his nogging was stopped up.  He was hacking due to the congestion.  Poor fella could not help it.  Well, this is what I do, I make my man homemade chicken noodle soup.  

I am lucky that I have so many ingredients in my pantry that this was an easy meal to make for him.  Goes back to meal planning.  I try really hard to have what I think of as essentials at hand.  It makes it easier on days like today when it has rained and/or sleeted all night long. See the ice on the tree?



I always think of chicken soup when you are sick.  You hear have all the time have chicken soup when you are sick.  I have no clue if there is any truth to the saying.  However, I sure can see how a warm, made from scratch soup can help.  Just think about what all is in chicken soup.  All healthy stuff.    

Again as I said I am lucky.  I baked a chicken this week.  Click here for my recipe to make a chicken in a clay baker.  We did not eat the chicken when I fixed it so I had picked the meat off the bones.  So, I had fresh chicken for my soup.  Plus you guys know I love my bones.  I used the chicken bones Friday to make bone broth.  Not only did I have baked chicken, but I also had freshly made bone broth.  I had planned on making pho broth with the chicken broth but I am pretty sure this soup is more important than making pho ga broth.  Now doesn't that look yummy?  Did you know a lot of people swear by bone broth?  It is so healthy and good for you.



Making chicken soup is so darn easy.  Peel and slice your carrots.  Chop some onion and celery, throw them in a pan. LOL Well, a pot.  As usual, I already had my pot on the stovetop warming with a bit of olive oil.  Saute for about 5 minutes.  


 Chop up some chicken.  I used about 2 pounds of pre-cooked chicken.  Right before adding my chicken, I put 2 cloves of minced garlic in my pot. 


Add your chicken to the pot of vegetables. 


At this point, I use a small amount of thyme.   


I just sprinkle some onto the ingredients in my pot.  If you look real close you will see it.  Thyme sets this soup above the bar. Of course, I use salt and pepper and a bit of crushed red pepper flakes as well.


Next goes in that wonderful chicken bone broth.  If you do not have bone broth use a good quality broth or stock.


Mix all this up and allow to cook for as long as you can on low. 



As you can see, I like to make soup chunky.  


I add the noodles at the end.  If you add them too early they turn to mush.  

Cook your pasta per the box or bag's directions.  I like using wide noodles or egg noodles in chicken soup.

Serve your soup with a grilled cheese on homemade sourdough bread.


The temperature is supposed to rise today so this ice should melt. Happy Sunday.

ENJOY!!











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOMATO SOUP (CANNING RECIPE)

COPY CAT ORTEGA TACO SAUCE

HOW TO MAKE CRISPY PICKLED JALAPENOS